It’s official: I HATE my tonsils.

Sunday morning, I awoke peacefully and healthfully and went off to church.  I kept Erik happy for some time in the service and then took him to the nursery to feed him.  After a few minutes, I started to have a sore throat.  Fast forward from this easy morning to late that night, when I could barely swallow, had chills, fever, hot spells, aches and pains…you get the picture.  Tonsillitis!  I had it two years ago – almost exactly two years ago, actually – and it was miserable then, too.  Monday, I thought I would die, or one of the kids would set the house on fire from neglect because I could barely move.  I finally had Mike take me to the doctor in the afternoon, just so I could tell them what was wrong with me and get some antibiotics.  The doctor asked me a bunch of questions like he didn’t believe I really had tonsillitis…or that I couldn’t self-diagnose it, anyway.  And then, of course, he looked at the large, swollen, misshapen things, covered in spots – gross, I know – and confirmed it.  He said I probably had strep throat, too.  With this diagnosis and a prescription in hand, we went to get some antibiotics.  I then spent that night, all of Tuesday and Wednesday feeling lousy, mostly staying on the couch.  At one point, I actually worried that I had meningitis because I had such a bad headache and stiff neck.  Turns out those were mostly from laying down on the couch for so long, because after being upright for some time yesterday, I felt better. 

This morning, I woke up feeling almost normal, and thought of all the things I was going to do – washing clothes and dishes, cleaning up messes made when I was laid out.  Then, fortunately, logic won out and I decided to just have a shower and get dressed in real clothes.  It was smart, because I think I may have passed out had I done even half the things I was planning.  I now have made Mike lunch, nursed Erik, made mac and cheese for the kids, fed them, put them to bed and I feel like my head is full of cotton.  That said, I won’t sit here writing any longer, but will instead settle down on the couch for a little Jeeves and Wooster and possibly a nap if I can’t stay awake that long.  One of these days, I will be better and then I can go nuts and clean my house.  Or at the very least, go nuts, clean one room of my house, and then just go back to normal me.

To make matters worse, Elias is sick with some sort of cough and runny nose cold, and I think he may have given it to me.  Just when I thought I was getting better, I may be getting worse.


Leave a comment

Filed under Illness and Injury, The H Word

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s