You have to start somewhere, part one.

Where do I start?

Here, I suppose.

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind so I’ll just have to do highlights.  Part two will probably cover the last week, or might just be rambling about how much I hate cleaning, how hot it is and the frustrating activities of my stomach.

Last week was sick week.  My children puked.  I puked.  My children got pink eye.  I did not.  (Thankfully!) 

Last weekend was “hardly ever home weekend”.  We started with a wedding two hours away.  We left at nine o’clock Saturday morning and got home at eleven that night.  The boys were still sporting a bit of colour on their eyeballs which succeeded in freaking a few people out.  We were in the car way too much that day and poor Erik was stuck in a stroller for most of the time when we weren’t in the car.  The wedding was outside at the bride’s parents property.  Their muddy property.  So Erik, who does not walk yet, had to be kept off the ground by his mother who just couldn’t bear to have him all muddy.  We went out for supper and he wouldn’t even stay in the highchair, but kept crawling out of it onto the table.

We got to bed so late that night that we decided we’d stay home from church the next day.  This is a rare thing for us and it was more than a little bit strange, but it was oh, so nice to stay in bed until ten and not have to rush to get out of the door.  We did, however, get out of the door around noon to attend an airshow.  Tickets were fifteen dollars per adult and parking at the airport was fifteen dollars also.  We thought we’d be smart and save money by parking the van at the arena and taking the shuttle to the airport, which was free.  We packed snacks, changes of pants for Elias, earplugs and various other items, but decided not to bring chairs, but to just use blankets on the grass near the airstrip.  BIG mistake.  The skies opened up and dumped rain on us as we were taking the shuttle to the show.  We waited in the airport until it cleared up and then went out to the strip to see what the best course of action would be.  We found a spot that looked somewhat dry and put our blankets down.  I had Mike put his hand on the blankets to see if they would soak through.  No water.  So he put his foot on them.  And the water gushed up through three layers of fabric.  So, I cleverly suggested we lay down our rain jackets and sit on them, assuming that they would be water proof and that we wouldn’t get wet that way.  Wow, was I wrong.  The kids didn’t seem to care, but I went around the rest of the day with a very wet backside.  When we finally gave up and packed up our things to go walk on the paved areas, we found the asphalt warm and dry.  Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.  The show went until nearly five and we made our way to the shuttle pick-up area to catch the bus back to our van.  We waited and waited and waited.  Thankfully we had friends there who we hung out with and the kids were just having fun, but in the end, we didn’t make it back to our van until nearly seven o’clock.  What a long day.

The thing I could have used the most after a week of being sick and a weekend of being insanely busy was a nice calm week of nothing.  But this week is VBS at our church and I am in charge of pre-school and kindergarten games.  Tomorrow is our last day and it has been quite a week so far.  But I think I’ll leave that for part two.  Just for the fun of it.


Leave a comment

Filed under Illness and Injury, Kiddos, Life, in general

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s